Value: 100 points
Due: To facilitate scholarly discourse, create your initial post by Day 3, and reply to at least two of your classmates, on two separate days, by Day 7.
Gradebook Category: Discussions
It is understood that thoughtful responses to your topic question(s) will take some time and thought. Please organize your thoughts before creating your initial post.
Based on your assigned team, create an initial post by answering all questions in your team’s case study, making sure to address all components of all questions.
By Day 3, post your initial response to your assigned part of the case study as a reply to the appropriate discussion thread. Please be sure to number the questions addressed and include all components of each question in your response. Each initial response must have a reference, including at least two scholarly references other than your textbook or course materials. Your post should comprehensively address the questions posed.
Week 9 Discussion Team C Worksheet (Word)
- What is a subdural hematoma? In your definition, be sure to include location, common causes, and time to development. What signs and symptoms would you expect a patient with a subdural hematoma to exhibit?
- Spinal cord injury can occur anywhere along the spine. Is injury to the cervical spine or lumbar spine more critical? Using pathophysiology, explain why.
- What is the difference between communicating and noncommunicating hydrocephalus? This can occur in infants, often with no focal signs. Explain why this is.
- What is the difference between a partial and a general seizure? Give an example of each, and describe what you might expect to observe from a patient experiencing each type.
- Describe where you might expect to find plaques that cause the following early signs of multiple sclerosis: diplopia, tremors in the legs, facial weakness.
- Describe three common manifestations that can be observed in a person with Parkinson’s disease. Why might these make it difficult for patients to maintain adequate nutrition and hydration? What potential complications may ensue?
Select posts from two peers that addressed a case study from a different team than you. For example, students from Team A reply to one post from Team B and one post from Team C. Each reply must use at least one scholarly reference other than your textbook.
Thinking about your population-specific NP track and anticipated practice area:
- Describe a patient you might encounter where you could apply the information learned in your peer’s post.
- What “signs” and “symptoms” would you expect this patient to exhibit? Identify at least four, describe the finding, and classify each as subjective or objective data.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
Posting to the Discussion Forum
- Select Add a new discussion topic.
- Type your topic in the subject line.
- Create your post.
- Select Post to Forum.