Value: 100 points
Due: To facilitate scholarly discourse, create your initial post by Day 3, and reply to at least two of your classmates, on two separate days, by Day 7.
Gradebook Category: Discussions
It is understood that thoughtful responses to your topic question(s) will take some time and thought. Please organize your thoughts before creating your initial post.
Based on your assigned team, create an initial post by answering all questions in your team’s case study, making sure to address all components of all questions.
By Day 3, post your initial response to your assigned part of the case study as a reply to the appropriate discussion thread. Please be sure to number the questions addressed and include all components of each question in your response. Each initial response must have a reference, including at least two scholarly references other than your textbook or course materials. Your post should comprehensively address the questions posed.
General Neurologic Dysfunction
- In some neurologic disorders, postsynaptic membrane permeability is increased. Does this make the neuron more easily stimulated or less excitable? Using pathophysiology, explain why.
- Cholinergic drugs are often used to help correct neurologic pathologic processes. Briefly describe where a cholinergic drug acts and how it affects the postsynaptic receptors. Give two examples of its possible effects on function.
- Describe two possible areas of CNS damage that might cause flaccid paralysis. What signs and symptoms would a patient with this condition exhibit?
- There are many different conditions that can cause increased intracranial pressure (ICP); identify two. What are the early signs and symptoms of increased ICP? What will you look for in a patient to help determine if they have increased ICP?
- Describe how vital signs change from early increased ICP to later stages.
- Which is more critical: a lesion in the brainstem or in the cerebral hemisphere? Using pathophysiology, explain why.
Select posts from two peers that addressed a case study from a different team than you. For example, students from Team A reply to one post from Team B and one post from Team C. Each reply must use at least one scholarly reference other than your textbook.
Thinking about your population-specific NP track and anticipated practice area:
- Describe a patient you might encounter where you could apply the information learned in your peer’s post.
- What “signs” and “symptoms” would you expect this patient to exhibit? Identify at least four, describe the finding, and classify each as subjective or objective data.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
Posting to the Discussion Forum
- Select Add a new discussion topic.
- Type your topic in the subject line.
- Create your post.
- Select Post to Forum.