Due: Day 7
Grading Category: Assignments
The goal for this assignment is to develop a quick-reference tool or visual aid (for example, table, diagram, or chart) that you could use in actual practice that compares and contrasts the four main types of acid-base imbalances. This is your opportunity to let your creativity shine!
Think about what is most important for you to know about the four main types of acid-base imbalances—metabolic acidosis, metabolic alkalosis, respiratory acidosis, and respiratory alkalosis.
Summarize your findings into a quick-reference tool or visual aid resource (for example, table, diagram, or chart) that you can carry with you that you could use in actual practice. Examples include:
- A reference card you can attach to your nursing ID.
- An image you can save on your phone for quick access.
- A “cheat sheet” that can be attached to a clipboard or other work-related tool.
Think about what type of resource will work best for you as you move along in your studies and nursing practice.
Include the following for each type of imbalance in your quick-reference tool or visual aid:
- Common causes
- How the body compensates
- Expected laboratory findings
- Expected patient signs (subjective)
- Expected patient symptoms (objective)
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
To Submit Your Assignment:
- Select the Add Submissions button.
- Drag or upload your file to the File Picker.
- Select Save Changes.