Value: 100 points
Due: Day 7
Grading Category: Assignments
During this assignment, you will be asked to discuss the concepts of health promotion and disease prevention, relating this information to the role of the APRN and applying it to the vulnerable population you selected during Week 1. In Week 6, you submitted a rough draft of your paper and received feedback from faculty, so please make sure you incorporate those comments along with direction you received from SmartThinking, Pearson Writing Center, and the Library.
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Population-Specific Paper
This paper was to be developed throughout the first six to nine weeks of the course, with an opportunity to submit a rough draft for feedback during Week 6 and your final submission due this week, in Week 10. The goal of this assignment is twofold: 1) for you to demonstrate an understanding of the key concepts of health promotion and disease prevention as related to the role of the APRN while applying this information to a specific vulnerable population; and 2) for you to have an opportunity to develop your writing and APA formatting skills through faculty feedback and the utilization of various tools here at Regis (that is, Regis Library and staff, SmartThinking, Pearson Writing Center, etc.).
The faculty at Regis want you to be successful. Being able to present not only your thoughts but evidence-based practice information in a concise, systematic, and clear manner will be a talent that serves you well.
Note: You must submit a SmartThinking report from Week 9 or 10 with your paper. The suggested APA / grammatical corrections must be made along with the faculty-suggested corrections from Week 6. If this is not done, you will automatically receive a zero. Do not wait to submit your work to SmartThinking, as they will be backed up, so submit early (that is, the end of Week 8/first part of Week 9).
This entire paper is about your vulnerable population, so each topic listed in the paper needs to be related to your chosen population; from the introduction to the conclusion, it is about your chosen group.
The paper is to be five to eight pages in length, not including the title page, attachments, and reference pages. Note: Points will be deducted for going over the max of 8 pages (5 points for each page).
The paper will be divided into four sections.
- Section 1 (Content can be found in Week 1)
- WHO’s definition of health
- Applying the WHO’s definition of health to your vulnerable population.
- The concept of vulnerable individuals and populations, in general and then related to your specific group.
- Historical Perspectives of Health
- Levels of Prevention – overview, brief
- The role of nursing, specifically APRNs, in health promotion and disease prevention, and advocacy
- Section 2 (Content can be found in Week 2 and 3)
- Health disparities related to your vulnerable group
- Cultural competency as a provider
- Defining resilience and applying to the vulnerable, specifically to your group
- Section 3 (Content can be found in Week 2 through 4. Don’t forget to use the media/website/video links, as they will provide a lot of great information). Focus on your specific vulnerable population group
- Using Mechanic and Tanner’s 2005 article, is your vulnerable population a sinner or a victim and why?
- Social justice related to your population
- Low literacy within your population and how this affects their health
- Evaluate your vulnerable population related to current Healthy People Initiative guidelines – what specifically relates to your group (Connect D and E)
- Discuss one primary health concern for your population and include the preventive guideline related to this concern and how you might motivate this group to make behavioral changes.
- Discuss use of Community Based Participatory Research (CBPR) with your vulnerable population – pros and cons. How can community-level plans/interventions influence individual and family health?
- Discuss what resources are available within your community for your specific population.
- Section 4
- The conclusion of your paper should bring all your information together.
- Discuss an approach for improving health literacy within your population
- Discuss how, as an APRN, you can impact vulnerable individuals in your community.
- Conclude with a summary of how we as a nation are doing with health promotion and disease prevention.
Note: This assignment is to be submitted in an APA paper format (that is, title page, title, introduction and purpose statement, body of the paper with a conclusion, appropriate citations, and reference page(s) along with attachments) as was your SmartThinking Report. Please make sure that ALL paragraphs are well developed, and have five to six sentences each, with citations for validity.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how the final submission of paper will be graded.
Please submit your Final Paper and a NEW SmartThinking Report.
Note: Failing to submit a NEW SmartThinking Report will result in a ZERO for this assignment.
To Submit Your Assignment:
- Select the Add Submissions button.
- Drag or upload your file to the File Picker.
- Select Save Changes .