After reading the chapter and reading the article about Northwestern University, there is definitely much to discuss. For this discussion, post your response to each of the following prompts:
- Discuss your thoughts on sexual assault and violence on college campuses.
- Do you think there is enough education being done to prevent this violence?
- Why do you think that many acts of sexual violence on college campuses don’t get reported?
- Do you agree with “boys will be boys” when it comes to sexual assault and other sexual charged behaviors?
- Review the rape culture video and article.
- Have you ever been in a situation where someone said or did something that would be considered part of rape culture?
- Do you think that rape culture and language pertaining to rape is learned, and that it is normal in American society?
- What impact do you see this having on American society overall?
- Now, recall the video from the domestic abuse survivor.
- Did she change your mind at all about who is a domestic abuse victim?
- Do you think you could identify a victim of domestic abuse if a friend or family member had a problem they weren’t talking about?
- Do a little internet research and discuss one community organization that is dedicated to ending violence and domestic abuse (remember to make sure the sites you visit are reliable). Please give the name of the organization, the website address and a brief description of their mission.