Modern civilization uses rocks and minerals in a variety of ways. Some are so common place that it’s easy to overlook them. For example, rocks and minerals are commonly used in the production of soaps, flooring, streets, buildings, and cars. For this assignment, you will need to take note of the rocks/minerals that you encounter in your everyday life and showcase them in a PowerPoint presentation.
To complete this assignment, address the following:
- Your PowerPoint presentation should:
- Have a title slide.
- Contain at least 6 content slides.
- Reflect proper spelling and grammar.
- Cite at least 2 credible references and present the sources in APA format on a References slide.
- Identify at least 6 rocks or minerals that are found in items you use or see used on a regular basis. Devote at least 1 PowerPoint slide to each rock/mineral, and incorporate the items listed below:
- State the name of the rock/mineral.
- Describe the physical environment in which the rock/mineral would have formed and include an image showing its original appearance as a raw material (e.g. iron ore)
- Explain where you encountered the rock/mineral and include an image of the item where it’s being used (e.g. bicycle frame). Identify at least 2 additional uses for the rock/mineral in modern civilization.
- List rock or mineral characteristics:
- For rocks, list the mineral composition.
- For minerals, list at least 3 physical/chemical properties.