Answer the following questions. If the answer isn’t in the video or article, you should use your notes from class, including the lecture video, and outside sources, such as Wikipedia. Please cite all your sources using the citation method of your choice. I don’t care which citation style you use, I just want to be able to look up your sources. Some of the answers will only require a short answer, while other questions will require longer and more detailed answers.
Your grade is based on how well you answer the questions, including how well you provide supporting details to back up what you’re saying, if you correctly cited your sources, and how well written your answer was, including correct spelling.
I’d like you to read these resources:
https://www.berkeleyside.org/2018/09/20/redlining-the-history-of-berkeleys-segregated-neighborhoods (Links to an external site.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/upshot/how-redlinings-racist-effects-lasted-for-decades.html (Links to an external site.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining (Links to an external site.) (I’d skim it and look for nuggets of good information)
https://theconversation.com/how-black-cartographers-put-racism-on-the-map-of-america-155081 (Links to an external site.)
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modern-day-redlining-20180215-story.html (Links to an external site.)
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/19/911909187/in-u-s-cities-the-health-effects-of-past-housing-discrimination-are-plain-to-see (Links to an external site.)
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-flood-risk-redlining/?srnd=citylab (Links to an external site.)
https://www.kqed.org/news/11648307 (Links to an external site.)
https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/segregation-in-the-city-of-angels-a-1939-map-of-housing-inequality-in-l-a (Links to an external site.)
and watch these videos: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLksMcZdaPcZ07l7OeJJhE2qiy5U95a1Ca (Links to an external site.)
and then answer these questions:
- What were the economic factors that led to the government trying to increase home sales in the early 1930s? Why was the HOLC created? (more details = more points)
- What were the criteria that HOLC used to grade neighborhoods?
- What were the four HOLC classes of neighborhood?
- What are some of the benefits of cul-de-sacs in the suburbs?
- Was there evidence of structural racism in real estate lending patterns from 1934-1968? Did everyone that was economically qualified for a loan get a loan?
- What were the economic motivators that would lead residential developers to create segregated neighborhoods?
- What was Levittown? Why is it important?
- Was Levittown segregated?
- Do you agree or disagree with the statement that redlining created conditions that have led to gentrification due to the rent gap theory? Use specific examples to support your statement.
- Describe the feedback loops with house prices in the Green neighborhoods, compared with the feedback loops with house prices in the Red neighborhoods.
- What happens to the residents of the formerly Red regions when those regions are redeveloped? How does the “back to the city” movement make this better or worse?
- Which groups benefited from the past racist lending policies, and which groups were harmed?
- Which groups benefit from modern gentrification and redevelopment, and which groups were harmed?
- What’s the main source of household wealth in the US?
- How did redlining prevent African-Americans from participating in the growth of household wealth from 1934 to the present?
- How is the legacy of redlining affecting schools, public health, including exposure to pollution, exposure to natural hazards, and policing today?
- Pick one city discussed in the articles or video and tell me:
How did redlining affect the city at the time of redlining?
What are the effects of past redlining that are being felt by that city today?