CAN MODERN ART MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN?
Can Modern Art Make America Great Again?
Social movements often use modern art and artists to accomplish an end goal. In this way, the art communicates a movement’s ideas to its members and to the wider world.
In this assignment, you will examine a contemporary social movement and the art associated with it to determine its effect on you and on others.
Using the Can Modern Art Make America Great Again? Template [DOCX], write a 2–3-page paper in which you:
- Choose a contemporary social movement that matters to you and provide your rationale for selecting this movement. In other words, what is it about this movement that moves you? Why does it matter to you? (1/2 page).
- You may select from any of these contemporary social movements: Me Too, Black Lives Matter, Occupy Wall Street, ISIS, or MAGA.
- You may select another contemporary social movement if you wish, but you must first obtain your instructor’s approval before you begin writing.
- Identify art (photography, sculpture, graffiti, propaganda, artwork, etc.) that has been created to embody this particular social movement.
- Copy and paste an image of this art in your assignment. This image is not included in the required page count for the assignment.
- You have already shared an image of this art in your Week 5 discussion post and obtained some of your classmates’ responses to it.
- Summarize the message you believe the artist hoped to convey (1/2 page).
- Describe what you see in this artwork and your personal response to it (1/2 page).
- Summarize how your classmates responded to the work of art you shared in the Week 5 discussion post (½ page).
- Explain how this assignment changed your view of the role of art in social movements (1/2 page).
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Preferred method: Typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the assignment title, your name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is: