Using the case study below, prepare a 2 – 3-page paper.
A 21-year old female (A.M.) presents to the urgent care clinic with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever for 3 days. She states that she has Type I diabetes and has not been managing her blood sugars since she’s been ill and unable to keep any food down. She’s only tolerated sips of water and juices. Since she’s also been unable to eat, she hasn’t taken any insulin as directed. While helping A.M. from the lobby to the examining room you note that she’s unsteady, her skin is warm and flushed, and that she’s drowsy. You also note that she’s breathing rapidly and smell a slight sweet/fruity odor. A.M. has a challenge answering questions but keeps asking for water to drink.
You get more information from A.M. and learn the following:
- She had some readings on her glucometer which were reading ‘high’
- She vomits almost every time she takes in fluid
- She hasn’t voided for a day but voided a great deal the day before
- She’s been sleeping long hours and finally woke up this morning and decided to seek care
Current labs and vital signs: vital signs
chart information 88/46 mmhg, 36/mn deep, 101.3 F Tympanic
blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature
- What is the disorder and its pathophysiology that you expect the health care provider to diagnose and treat?
- Describe the etiology of the disorder A.M is experiencing.
- Identify and describe the clinical manifestations of the disorder A.M. is experiencing.
- Identify and describe the expected treatment options for A.M. based on the disorder and clinical manifestations.
Summarize the questions above and formulate what may be happening with A.M. and how you would improve her condition.
Use at least one scholarly source to support your findings. Examples of scholarly sources include academic journals, textbooks, reference texts, and CINAHL nursing guides. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References page using APA format.
30% of total grade Excellent Thoroughly identified the pathophysiology of an endocrine disorder.15SatisfactoryClearly identified the pathophysiology of an endocrine system disorder.13.95UnsatisfactoryBriefly identify the pathophysiology of the an endocrine system disorder.13.05PoorDid not include discussion on the pathophysiology of the endocrine system disorder.10.05No credit earned Failure to provide pathophysiology results in zero points earned for this criteria.0
30% of total grade
- Clinical Manifestation
20% of total grade
10% of total grade
- APA, Spelling and Grammar
10% of total grade